SERVICES

MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS

EMPLOYEES

PRODUCTION SITES

HISTORY

PARTNER COMPANIES

Home > About Us > History

HISTORY

OWI GmbH is a medium-sized family run business with production sites in Germany and Hungary. Since 1927 we are specialized in the production of moulded parts made of wood and plastic. Seat shells, seat pads, stadium seats, loudspeaker cabinets, injection moulded parts and technical moulded parts are produced in our own production and used by our customers worldwide.

1927

Foundation of the company “Oskar Winkler“
in Münnerstadt (Rhön)
Picture shows Oskar Winkler, name Owi

1937

Move from Münnerstadt
to Bischofsheim a. d. Rhön

1945–1955

Expansion of wood production and
relocation to Lohr am Main

1960

Tilly Winkler takes
over the management

1963

Expansion of the production range to include a
plastic production area by Tilly Zschocke’s
(née Winkler) husband Dipl. Ing. Erich Zschocke

1970

With a new name
“OWI – Oskar Winkler KG
Formholz- und Kunststoffwerk” and
a new product portfolio,
the company presents itself
at the Interzum in Cologne, the
international fair for
suppliers of the furniture industry.

1984
Extension of the own product range in plastic
1988
István Avar becomes new technical
Managing Director
1993
Takeover of Zalafurnér in Hungary
change of company name to OWI GmbH + Co. KG
and redesigned logo
1993
Andrea Zschocke takes over the management
2007
Patent and Interzum Award for “2 K” plastic shells
2013

Redesign of the
administration building in Lohr am
Main with new facade made of OWI Thermoformholz®
weatherproof beech
plywood boards.

2018

 Erweiterung der Produktion um eine neue Logistikhalle in Lohr

2019
Startup of new state of the
art wood combustion plant fired with offcuts
from wood production to reduce OWI’s carbon footprint.

2019

Tünde Tanai wird neue Geschäftsführerin
der OWI Zala Bt.

2021
Startup of compounding plant to recycle plastic waste in-house to minimize OWI’s carbon footprint